Cemetery Project

The JGSWS is working on a joint project with the Washington State Jewish Historical Society to coordinate and catalog the data from Jewish cemeteries and funeral homes in our state. Please contact us if you'd like to help with this ongoing project.

The information we've gathered so far is posted on this page. It will also be shared with the JewishGen Online Worldwide Burial Registry and the IAJGS International Jewish Cemetery Project.




Temple Beth Am/Temple B'nai Torah Cemetery
Sunset Hill Memorial Park
1575 145th Pl. SE
Bellevue, WA 98007
(206) 525-0915 or (425) 232-7243


Congregation Beth Israel Cemetery *
(360) 733-8890

Beth Israel Cemetery: Adjacent to and accessed through city-owned Bayview Cemetery at 2701 Lakeway Dr., Bellingham. Beth Israel Cemetery is approximately one-half acre, surrounded by fence and unlocked gate, but effectively closed at dusk because access gates to the city-owned cemetery are closed at that point. Approximately 200 people are buried there (guess). Beth Israel has been owned and operated since 1915 by Congregation Beth Israel, 2200 Boadway, Bellingham, WA 98225, (360) 733-8890. For information about the synagogue's Cemetery Committee, contact Debbie Adelstein, (360) 676-9591.

Source: Tim Baker, Bellingham WA; e-mail: tbaker@simonlaw.com.


Temple Beth Or
(206) 259-7125


Temple Beth Hatfiloh Cemetery *
455 North Street
Tumwater, WA 98501
(360) 754-8519

Located in the Masonic Memorial Park. Directions: From I-5, take the Capitol exit. Go south on Capitol Way from downtown Olympia. Cross over the freeway to a Y-intersection with Cleveland Avenue. Bear left on Cleveland and go 2 blocks to the stoplight. Turn left onto North Street. The cemetery is on the right. The Jewish portion is at the back, distinguishable by a chained perimeter. The gates carry the Star of David.

Hatfiloh Cemetery GateThe Olympia Lodge of the Masons formed the cemetery in July 1857. The Jewish portion was established in 1874 when the Hebrew Benevolent Society of Puget Sound purchased three acres of land in the cemetery for $50. In 1922, a portion of that land was returned to the lodge. In 1955, it was turned over to Temple Beth Hatfiloh. Around 1995, the cemetery purchased another section of land within the Memorial Park. The new section is called the family cemetery and provides an alternative for those who wish to be cremated or buried next to a non-Jewish spouse. Ben Bean oversees the cemetery, as did his brother and father before him.

Compiled by Deborah K. Freedman, with help from Jeff Freedman, Herman Kleiner, Fav Witenberg, Si Rose & Hilde Slotnick; sent by Deborah Freedman, e-mail: debfree@juno.com.


Sunset Memorial Gardens and Mausoleum
Congregation Beth Sholom
(509) 943-9457

The Jewish section is called Gan Sholom (Garden of Peace). {10257}. Swift Blvd and Hwy 240; Richland, WA 99352; (509) 943-0803. (915 By-Pass Highway). Richland is a small, remote, windswept community. The cemetery is unique because of the Bohr atom representation on posts on either side of the entrance indicative of the community's involvement with the Nuclear Age. (The plutonium for the atomic bomb dropped on Japan was made in nearby Hanford.) Virtually all Jewish burials in the area were done by Einan's Funeral Home, 915 By-Pass Highway, Richland, WA 99352. A few Jews may be buried in Kennewick (an adjacent town that, along with Richland, is one of the Tri-Cities) in Desert Lawn Memorial Park (e.g., Lantor).

Source: Ron Kathren; e-mail: rkathren@beta.tricity.wsu.edu


Abbey View Memorial Park
3601 Alaska Road
Brier, WA 98036
(206) 483-0555

Arthur Wright Cemetery
Temple de Hirsch Sinai Section

Beth Shalom Cemetery *
at Abbey View Cemetery
3601 Alaska Rd.
Brier WA 98036
(206) 525-0915

Directions: From I-5 freeway going north, take exit 178 to 236th SW and turn right. At Cedar Way (also known as 44th W.) turn left. At 228th SW turn right. Continue past the fire station and just before the crest of the hill, turn right on 35th W. At fork in the road bear right and follow 35th to Abbey View Cemetery. Do not turn into the main cemetery but go along Alaska Rd. past the funeral home. Road curves to the south, and on the right is small cemetery called Gan Shalom, Temple Beth Am. An Acer maple tree divides the cemetery into a part for Beth Shalom on the south and Beth Am on the north.

Bikur Cholim Cemetery *
1340 N. 115th St., Seattle
(206) 721-0970

Orthodox, still active 1890s cemetery.

Herzl Memorial Park *
165th and Dayton Ave. N., Seattle
(206) 232-8555.

Serves Herzl\Ner Tamid Congregation: 232-8555
Originally Orthodox, then Zionist, has been Conservative the last 50+ years.

Hills of Eternity Cemetery
520 W. Raye St., Seattle
(206) 323-8486.
Temple Sinai Section
(206) 283-1166

Machzikay Hadath Cemetery
1214 N. 167th, Seattle
(206) 721-0970
see Bikur Cholim above

Mt of Olives Cemetery

Seattle Sephardic Brotherhood Cemetery *
(206) 723-3028, 722-5500, 232-7302

  • Burial list (on external website), including cemetery map and photos of headstones

The Seattle Sephardic Brotherhood was established in 1935. The objective then, just as now, is to provide cemetery and burial services and perpetual care for members.

Temple Beth Am Cemetery
Cemetery Gan Shalom
at Abbey View Cemetery
3601 Alaska Rd. Brier, WA 98036
(206) 525-0915


1919 Jewish population was 1100. Source: Alan Hirshfeld's submission of "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States," pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680, September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920, Volume 21. Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee for Emanu El and Greenwood.

Ahalath Israel Cemetery
Spokane, Spokane County, Washington

T25N R42E Sec 33 contributed by Maggie Rail Jan 27, 2001 [mrail@asisna.com]. The following comes from information I received from historian Helen Boots and excerpts from Rural Spokane County Cemeteries, Vol. 1, pub. 1961 by EWGS.

"Ahalath Israel Cemetery was a Jewish cemetery which was dedicated Apr 23, 1914 and recorded in the Spokane County records in Plat Book Q, page 52. The articles filed at that time were signed by: Louis A. Joffe, S. Goldberg, N. Goodman, A. Taitch, President; Sam Fishbach, Vice-president and D. Markowitz, Secretary.

"The area of this old cemetery is Northwest of the overpass of Exit 276 of the I-90 freeway through Spokane, WA. This cemetery was closed after just a few burials were made. That was because of the solid rock encountered when digging graves. Reportedly all burials were removed at that time and it is believed they were moved to Mt. Nebo Cemetery, which is the present Jewish cemetery in Spokane. No records have been found to exist by either Spokane county or the Jewish community."

Fairmont Cemetery *
Spokane WA 99203

Mount Nebo Cemetery *
Temple Beth Shalom
1322 E 30th
Spokane WA 99203
(509) 747-3304

T25N R42E Sec 14
Lat: 47°39'53"N, Lon: 117°28'13"W
Contributed by Maggie Rail, © June 13, 2001, last updated May 26, 2007 [mrail@asisna.com]
Total records = 563.

Mount Nebo cemetery is on North Government Way, just north of and adjacent to Greenwood Memorial Park. It can be reached by going west on Fort George Wright Drive, past Spokane Community College to Government Way. Turn left or south, onto Government Way and continue for a little over a mile, it will be on your right and tricky to spot behind the trees.

"This is the second Jewish cemetery in Spokane, replacing the first which was called Ahalath Israel Cemetery and owned by the Keneseth Israel congregation, dedicated in 1914. As it turned out, few burials were made there and soon removed to this cemetery because of the condition of the land. It was too rocky for digging the depth needed for burials."


Givas Olom

Source: Alan Hirshfeld's submission of "Directory of Jewish Local Organizations in the United States," pp. 330-583. American Jewish Year Book 5680 September 25, 1919 to Sept. 12, 1920, Volume 21. Edited by Harry Schneiderman for the American Jewish Committee.

Home of Peace Cemetery *
5421 Steilacoom Blvd., Tacoma
(253) 564-7101

Home of Peace Cemetery is located in Tacoma, Pierce County. The city of Tacoma has a 1990 population of 176,664. Pierce County has a 1990 population of 359,703. The city is located at 47.25200 N, 122.45976 W. The cemetery address is 5421 Steilacoom Boulevard SW, Tacoma, WA. Inquiries regarding burials should be sent to Fav Witenberg, P.O. Box 11183, Tacoma, WA, 98411. Telephone (253) 473-1464. The local funeral home most frequently used by Jewish families is Gaffney, Cassedy, Allen & Buckley King. They are located on Yakima at Tenth, Tacoma, WA 98405. 1-800-215-2166. Mrs. Freedman researched their early account journals and included their journal page numbers as a cross-reference when available. The cemetery burials are indexed and computerized. The cemetery is willing to share the database. Many records have biographical data. Some have funeral director information. None have a health department number.

The cemetery serves the communities of Tacoma, Steilacoom, Pullayup, Gig Harbor, Lakewood and University Place, and members of the congregation of Temple Beth El, formerly Temple Beth Israel and Talmud Torah. A caretaker lives on site, closing the gates at 10 p.m. There is no flower policy. The Jewish community in the Tacoma area began with a few families in Steilacoom and Olympia in the 1860s. By the 1870s, several families were established in Tacoma, which grew rapidly. The cemetery began in 1889 as the First Hebrew Benevolent Society. It was incorporated in February of 1891. The first temple was built in 1893. The cemetery is active and is used by both Reform and Conservative families. Located in a suburban area, this separate cemetery can be reached by turning directly off of a public road. A low stone wall and a sign in English mark it. It is open to all.

The cemetery association owns eight acres, but only about two acres are currently in use. Rows and blocks organize it, but the sections are not separate. Originally, sections were set aside for infants and single deaths, but those lines have blurred through the years. The oldest gravestone, from 1886, was moved from Olympia after the cemetery was formed in 1889. Many tombstones are datable from the 19th century. Of the over 700 graves, over one-tenth are unmarked. [Source?]

Chevra Kadisha Cemetery *

Chevra Kadisha Cemetery (also called Block 41) is a small cemetery within Home of Peace Cemetery and Jewish Pioneer Graves in Masonic Memorial Park. A separate adjoining cemetery, Chevra Kadisha, was created July 29,1914, with less than 50 graves. The cemeteries merged in 1978. The cemetery association is open to all members of the Jewish faith and is governed by a board of trustees. The land was 109x104 feet and located southeast of the Home of Peace Cemetery, with a 30-foot strip of land separating the two. The purchase was "upon the conditions that the purchasers who were buying said premises would use the same for burial purposes. A more Orthodox portion of the community called for the Chevra Kadisha Cemetery at the corner of Lakewood Boulevard and Steilacoom Boulevard. There are at least 26 graves there, including burials from 1922 until 1978. In 1979, the Home of Peace Cemetery Association took over the assets of the Chevra Kadisha and assumed responsibility for it. Over 80 people lie in unmarked graves. For some only a name and possibly a date are known. Eight are simply unknown.


Mt. View Cemetery *
P. O. Box 478
Walla Walla, WA 99360
(509) 527-4485


Bonney Watson
1732 Broadway E.
(206) 322-0013

Butterworth's Arthur A. Wright Funeral Home & Columbarium
520 W. Raye St.
(206) 282-5500

Evergreen Washelli
11111 Aurora Ave. N.
Seattle, WA 98133
(206) 362-5200

Green Funeral Home
1215 145th Pl. SE.
Bellevue, WA 98007
(425) 747-6240

Seattle Jewish Chapel
Chapel: 1340 N. 115th St., Seattle
Office: 5145 S. Morgan St., Seattle
(206) 725-3067
(206) 721-0970